Ann over at Orange Cumpled Napkin started a new traveling stash box and I was the lucky winner. I got to pick this up yesterday from the post office. Here are all the goodies in the box. A book of kids projects some fabrics and some orphan blocks.
Here is what I took from the box.
Since this box is still in its early stages I added more than I took to help it grow and grow. I added 20 fat quarters and a pack of 50 2.5" squares
If you would like a chance to have this box visit you (especially if you have some box building materials!) Here are the rules to qualify.....
Leave a comment below......Give away open until 1/11/13!!!!
Don't forget we have a great give away for Blogger BOM (fat quarter pack, 2 yard total!!!). Enter that give away here...
- Be an active blogger. Post about receiving and the giveaway on your blog in a timely manner.
- There is a note in the box that logs where the box has been. Please add your info and place the note back in the box.
- There is a list of Rules and Guidelines in the box. Please read and follow these and return the list to the box.
- You may take anything you like from the box. Just replace every item with comparable quilt shop quality items equal to the amount taken. See guidelines below.
- Ship the box to the next person in a reasonable amount of time.
- Due to the amount of postage shipping is only within the USA.
The definition of a stash is a secret store of valuables. For quilters it's a collection of usable quality products. The stash should contain mostly fabric with a few patterns and/or books and other items.
- FABRIC: Should be quilt shop quality in new condition. Scraps should only be included if they are cut for adding to a collection and packaged accordingly (i.e. I-Spy squares, postage stamp squares, etc.). There should not be anything under a Fat Quarter unless packaged like this.
- PATTERNS/BOOKS: Should be in new or gently used condition. They should be kept to a minimum (books are bulky and add weight).
- OTHER ITEMS: Should be in new or gently used condition. Tools, notions, etc. These items should be packaged if necessary.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- If you receive a box with anything that is of "poor" condition you should not feel guilty in tossing it out.
- Only put items in the box that you would be proud to own. The box is NOT a dumping place for all your outdated unwanted items.
- Items should be free of smoke and pet hairs.
- You must replace items you take with the same quantity of like-kind items. Replacing more than you take is always welcome. :) There is a guide to Pre-Cut amounts below for your reference.
GUIDELINES TO PRE-CUT AMOUNTS:
- Jelly Roll strips are 2-1/2 inches so every 10 strips is 2/3 yard (plus an inch). 30 strips is 2 yards plus 3 inches. 40 strips is 2-3/4 yards. 50 strips is 3-1/2 yards.
- Honey Buns are 1-1/2 inches so 10 strips is just slightly under 1/3 yard. 40 strips are 1-2/3 yards.
- Desert Rolls are 10 (5 x 45) strips or just slightly over 1-1/3 yard.
- Turnovers are 80 (6 inch) triangles and is equal to slightly over 1 yard.
- Charms are 5 inch squares. 40 charms is equal to 2/3 of a yard.
- Layer Cakes are 10 inch squares. 40 layer cake squares are equal to 2-3/4 yards.
HOW TO SAVE MONEY & TIME WHEN MAILING A STASH BOX:
- Did you know that you can purchase postage online from the United States Postal Service (USPS)?
- Did you know that when you purchase postage online you get a discount and FREE Delivery Confirmation?
- Did you know that when you purchase postage online you can also schedule the Post Office to pick up your package at your home or office?
Yes you can do all of these!
Here's how . . .
1. Go to USPS.com.
2. Click on Ship a Package.
3. Click on Print a Label with Postage.
4. Log on or create a new account.
5. Enter the mailing information for your package. Enter the package details. We use Flat Rate boxes to mail the Traveling Stash so check "I am shipping Flat Rate". Then choose your ship date and click "Next: Choose a Service".
6. Scroll down the shipping options. Click on "Large Flat Rate Box". (Note: Some of the stashes are in medium boxes so if the stash you have is in the medium box you will choose that option.) Scroll down to "Add extra services". The "Delivery Confirmation" box is already checked. You get it for FREE when you purchase flat rate postage online! How cool is that?!!! :)
7. Click on "Next: Review your Cart".
8. Verifty the mailing address then click on "Next: Billing Information".
9. Follow the instructions to pay for the postage.
10. Print the mailing label out. Trim it and tape it to the box.
11. Your package is now ready for mailing. Either drop it off at the post office (you can simply put it in the package drop box inside) or schedule a pick up online.
SAVINGS: Did you notice that you only paid $14.65 online for postage (large flat rate box), instead of the $15.45 you pay at the post office? You save $ .80! You also receive FREE Delivery Confirmation. That is a value of $ .75. For a total savings of $1.55! Plus you can track the delivery of the package! :)
This may seem like a lot of steps but it's really not. I just tied to spell it out carefully so I didn't confuse anyone. If you have any questions you can contact the post office or me (Cherise) and I'll be happy to help you! It really is an easy process and one that save you time and money! I know everyone likes that! :)
Find out about the Origins of the Traveling Stashes Boxes here.
Find all the Traveling Stash posts here.