Sunday, May 1, 2016

Nuture Do.Good.Stitches-Hollywood Squares!

It's my month again as the quilter for the Nuture Do.Good.Stitches circle. I haven't finished March's quilt yet but I got some blocks very late! It's on my list of things to do. This months block should be quick and easy. Most of the instructions are on fabric choices and seam direction.

First go through your scrap bin and gather all your strips and strings, bold colors and black fabrics. No white if at all possible. No pastels! The strips should be 1.25"-2.5" wide. If you don't have scraps then jump into your stash.

For this quilt each participant is going to make 2 block, finishing at 12.5" square.  The first block starts with a 2.5" square of bold fabric. Sew a string/strip 1.25"-2.5" to 2 sides of the square,
Press the seams toward the surrounding ring and then trim down to the width of the central square,
Sew the same fabric to the remaining two sides of the square, press to the outside, and trim down.

The resulting square should look like this.

We will continue adding rings to the block in the pattern of a traditional courthouse square block.

-If you are using busy prints alternate rings with solid or tone on tone prints.
-Center should be 2.5" before sewing
-Rings should be 1.25"-2.5" before sewing
-Finished blocks should be 12.5"
-One block should have a black center
-One block will have a black final ring
-All other parts should be bold colored fabrics.
-No/Minimal white
-No pastels
-Press all seams to the outside.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

April Nuture Do.Good.Stitches Blocks

This is the block for this month. It was blogged about here by my the quilter this month Louise. It came together pretty quickly and reminded me that I have no solid orange fabric. I have yet to figure out how to sew together long strips of fabric and not have them curve. The suggestion of sewing open the seams helps some. I can't wait to see how this comes together. 

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

March Blocks - do.good.stitches - Picnic Pinwheel

This month I asked the group to choose between these 3 blocks.
The general vote was that I like star blocks (which is true) and the vote was split between the 2nd and 3rd option. I decided to go with option 2. This block by Patch the Giraffe. 

The difference is that we will be using the following colors. Fuchsia, Teal, Orange, Purple. When you pick your fabrics please pick jewel tones that are either solids or tone on tone prints, minimal white in the fabrics if any.

Our background color will be white like the finished quilt here.

The only thing that is changing from the original tutorial are the colors used. You can pick any 4 fabrics you would like, as long as they are Fuchsia, Teal, Orange, Purple and are solid or tone on tone. So if you want to use 2 teal fabrics, 1 orange and 1 purple feel free. Just 4 different fabrics + white background fabric in each block. You will make 2 blocks that will finish 12.5"

White/Background: 4 - 4.5 inches square, 8 - 2.5 inches square
Fabric 1: 4 - 6.5 by 2.5 inches
Fabric 2: 4 - 4.5 by 2.5 inches 
Fabric 3: 4 - 2.5 inches square
Fabric 4: 4 - 2.5 inches square 

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Feb Blocks for do.good.stitches

This block was a fun one this month. The post is here if you want to follow along. It was a good way to use up some scraps from the bin. I think this will make a nice quilt once it comes together. Next month will be my month to lead the group. Stay tuned for the fun and exciting block!
Linking up to Finish it Up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts

Friday, January 15, 2016

Of the Forest

This month we are back to quilting with the Nurture circle for do.good.stitches. This month was a tough one with paper piecing. We had to choose one block from the Forest QAL that can be found here. I choose the woodpecker as I thought it looked easier. I was also drawn to the roaring deer block. In hind sight I don't think it was the easiest block. It resulted in some serious cursing but on the plus side ate of some scraps from my bin. With the exception of the light blue all the fabric in the block came from my scrap bin. I can't wait to see what the other girls created but I am hoping for a much easier block next month.
Linking it up to Finish it up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts

Friday, October 30, 2015

Bloggers Quilt Festival - A river runs through

This is a quilt I made for my step daughter Michelle. An exercise in stash busting and so many HST. My least favorite part was trimming up all the HST. I used low volume fabrics along with blue, greens and purples. I added a navy strip to the sides and trimmed it with a lime green binding. She loves it and it should gets lots of use this winter.

 I am adding it to the large quilt category of the Blogger's Quilt Festival at Amy's Creative Side. Check it out here.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Scrappy Stars for my little Peach

This is my first entry into the Blogger's Quilt Festival at Amy's Creative Side. I always mean to enter but end up missing the dates. 

The first quilt I am entering is the quilt I made for my new baby Mirabelle. It is an homage to the Spring Cleaning Quilt featured in Fat Quarterly. I blogged about it here.

I have to work on better quilt photography. Here are a couple pictures of the quilt in use.