Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Scrappy Stash Quilt Along At Ellison Lane

Jennifer at Ellison Lane host a scrappy stash quilt along. Although I did not need another project to add to my massive list of to do's I started this quilt. I made a couple blocks but didn't think that I would get this finished. 



Once I got started I was hooked and the blocks started coming together quickly when I was doing them assembly line style. I decided to keep the feel of a traditional log cabin block by sorting the scraps into lights and darks. The layout I decided on was a fields and furrows pattern highlighting the lights and darks.


Quilt grew and grew and turned out like this lovely. My trusty quilt holder helped me capture some pictures of the finished top.

I struggled with the backing and I honestly bought about 3 different backings. I ended up finding a batik backing that was way more expensive that I would normally spend (12 bucks a yard!!!!!!) I caved cause it was on a little discount but it still was more than $10 bucks a yard and it looked AWESOME with the quilt. And I figured since the front was scraps and technically I didn't buy any fabric for this quilt that I could splurge on the backing.


I kept it very simple in the quilting. Just straight lines from one side to another at random angles. It quilted up very quickly and I finished it up with a green stripey binding straight cut. Here are a couple more pictures of the beauty.



Pay no attention to the man behind the quilt. Woo Hooo look at those seeeeexy legs. He was working night shift and was not happy about the quilt holding request. PS this is why I married a tall man, get over it! I am linking up my quilt here! Still working on a name.....rainbow sherbet quilt, water colors quilts? I'm open to suggestions.....

Monochromatic log cabin blocks
8.5" Squares
6 squares by 6 squares
finished up at 48" x 48"


12 comments:

  1. It's really beautiful -- and for sure, whoo hoo, those legs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, waterfall colors has a nice ring, because it looks like the colors are just flowing down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it's gorgeous and you whipped it up so FAST!! Your backing is perfect. :) I agree with Mara---Waterfall Colors is a lovely name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow,it`s absolutely fabulous.I agree Waterfall Colors is his name

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finish Dhia! Aren't these fun to do! ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, THAT is just gorgeous! (the quilt, but I'm sure hubby is, too, lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt! I love the distribution of lights and darks and that backing was so worth the cost! It is perfect for your quilt! Rainbow Sherbert is my favorite name, but I am partial to any name that involves food LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous! and a fantastic choice on the backing! (my quilt model is often reluctant...i just remind him if mama ain't happy....) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt turned out beautiful! I think it's great you got the back you want--it looks perfect. What a wonderful husband:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an awesome quilt - excellent! I suppose you could have cropped the photo, and them we wouldn't have been privy to such sexy legs. Tell him thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!! Congrats on finishing in time. Mine didn't get quilted because my machine went wack-o. But I still had fun with the patchwork part!!

    ReplyDelete