Thursday, August 15, 2013

Blogger BOM Finale - Nine Of Diamonds

Today is the finally installment of Blogger BOM. I can't believe how fast the time has gone. It is finally my turn to share my block. I have been trying to decide what block I wanted to share. I went through several options. Originally I wanted to share a vintage blocked called the Polaris Star. In the end I couldn't make it work. I ended up coming up with this block which I believe is original. If it is a block I am not familiar with I would love to know what its called. I have been calling this block "Niine of Diamonds"


To start you need to cut your fabrics
In this example I used the following fabrics


(A) Pink Flower Print In 9 Patch                    (1) 2.5" x 8"       (1) 2.5" x 2.5"
(B) Multi Colored Floral Print in 9 Patch        (2) 2.5" x 8"
(C) Blue Border for 9 Patch                           (1) 1.5" x WOF
(D) Dark Pink Corner Pieces                         (2) 2.5" X 2.5"
(E) Grey and White Print Boarder                  (1) 2.0" X WOF


The fabric for this block is quick to cut and comes together easily. To start take one 8" strip of fabric (A) and (B) and sew together.

Square up the end of the joined pieces and cut off 2.5"

Set aside the 2.5" piece you cut off. Sew the second 8" strip of fabric (B) onto the remaining piece on the other side of fabric (A)

Cut two 2.5" strips from the sewn strips.

Sew the 2.5" square of fabric (A) to the 2 piece unit from step two and assemble the 9 patch block as shown below.

The finished 9 patch block

Add fabric (c) to two sides of the 9 patch block. Trim the fabric flush with the 9 patch.

Sew fabric (C) to the remaining two sides of the 9 patch and trim flush to the 9 patch. Set the 9 patch unit aside.

Sew one piece of fabric (E) to each of fabric square (D). Trim flush to the squares.

Sew a piece of fabric (E) to the remaining side of the above units. You will end up with fabric square (D) surrounded by fabric (E)

Cut these units on the diagonal to end up with 4 corner pieces.

Sew the corner pieces on using the seems on the blue surround as a guide.

Trim down the corners of the blue surround.

Add the remaining 2 corner units and trim down the block to 9.5" square.

I love how they look all together!!! I think this would make a great quilt with a common fabric for (C) to tie the quilt together.

As usual there is a prize to be won. I had to go to one of my favorite fabric stores in Columbus to buy these fabrics. I cheated on my fabric diet a wee bit.... The lucky winner will get a one yard cut of each of these prints from Moda, Central Park by Kate Spain.

To win be a follower and leave a comment as to which block from the Blogger BOM is your favorite. The winner will be picked on 8/25/13.

Here is a list of all the participants of the BOM
Date
Name
Blog
Sept 15th 2012
Carin & Carol
Oct 15th 2012
Jenny
Nov 15th 2012
Jennifer M
Dec 15th 2012
Natalie
Jan 15th 2013
Stefanie
Feb 1st 2013
Jennifer I
Feb 15th 2013
Sandra
Mar 15th 2013
Nicole K
April 1st 2013
Bree
Apr 15th 2013
Tracey
May 15th 2013
Felicity
June 15th 2013
Erin
July 15th 2013
Nicole N
Aug 15th 2013
Dhia

Here is a button you can grab and put on your blog to make sure you don't miss a single post.

Peach Patch Quilts


I have also started a Flickr group to show off all the pretties you make.
Blogger Block Of The Month Flickr Group

If you would like to donate any blocks you make during this blog hop please mail them to the address below.
Donated blocks will be sewn into quilts for Margaret's Hope Chest.

Peach Patch Quilts
P.O. Box 0012
Sullivan, WI 53178

11 comments:

  1. My favourite block was the churn dash (sew kind of wonderful)
    Thanks for this series of blocks - it's been great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the nine of diamonds block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I follow - and I like this block. Very pretty and could lend itself to being gorgeous in a quilt just made of this block. I am saving this for later ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this nine of diamond block.It`s the first time I see it so this is m y fav.I add it to my to do list.Thanks for the tips.
    I do follow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I already am a follower. I have never seen the nine of diamond block, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a wonderful year of blocks and for your leadership in making this event successful. Great ending. I love your block.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its so hard to choose blocks they are all gorgeous. I do love the way you have done this nine patch diamond block so I choose you. I also like that Mama Love quilts remixed nine patch. I follow you on blog lovin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I follow your blog and I think Nicole's 9 patch remix is a cool block.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the 9 of Diamonds block. I think that I could make this one. Thanks for the chance
    to win!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry I had to delete the previous comment I forgot to mention that I know the give away is out of date. The block you've created is beautiful and the tutorial excellent thank you. I will certainly be using this is in a future quilt.

    Peg x

    ReplyDelete